How to say no to your boss?

Well.....
 the truth is you simply don't......it's something that I learnt that from my previous boss who advised me years back when I jhad just started my early career, the three magic words "never say no".

Just the other day, I was debating with myself whether to say no or just accept my boss's suggestion (read: order) without giving him a slightest idea that I'm not capable of doing it ......it's kinda hard to explain coz it's not my job and I don't want to be a scapegoat to be doing it just because somebody else doesn't want to do it.

 Anyway, it happened in the meeting, out of the blue like one bright idea bestowed upon him, my boss suggested me doing it ......which, no doubt appalled everyone in the committee and I was left absolutely stunned and speechless........obviously, I didn't make any comment and it was decided then....

Later, came few close friends playing devil's advocate......'This is not your job'.....'You should not be doing this'...'Ask someone else to do it'....and I was truly touched by their concern.......How supportive, some friends they are! Confused, I turned to my hubby for some advice (while secretly hoping that he'll be on my side as well)....but then he said 'just do it, it's a good opportunity for you, besides, it's not as difficult as it seems' Bla,bla,bla....

Yeah right! he thinks giving a course to my colleague is easy ......c'mon,  I haven't done this before and  it's about 70 of them not 7.....what if I got cold feet? what if I lost for words to say? and the possibilities are endless.....sigh!sigh!sigh!

Dissatisfied, first thing the next morning I was determined and went to confront my boss, hoping that he would change his mind so I could name some eligible candidates(or rather, one paricular most qualified one) to be considered.....and it turned out to be he is singing the same tune with my hubby....'Why don't you just go ahead with it and don't worry about a single thing, I'll be supporting you all the way. You know, this is inevitable given your position right now, take it as an chance and your colleagues will respect you more.'

But, I don't want their respect, I don't need their respect....I'm doing fine right now and not planning to change that anytime soon...... 

But then again, I guess it's useless to argue with my boss...the boss is always right....so I flashed him a sweetest smile I could fake and said, 'Ok, boss, I'll do it, so how do you want me to start.......' Just then, it was like a deja-vu when I remembered my former bosses (not one, but two of them) who had the wisdom to know and were kind enough to supply me with some valuable insight to hold to in my career. Sadly, though lately I observed my young colleagues are openly saying no to the boss..... oblivious to the fact that their names are making their marks in boss's little black book...

Ultimately, on Monday, I'm giving my colleagues the short course as directed by my boss...am having butterflies in my stomach...... nonetheless, am keeping my fingers crossed....

  

Comments

  1. Like going up a hill, always tough to hike up, but we can look at things with a different view, from high up. The new perspective will make us a lot wiser. Cheers..., happy Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah,it's tough initially but after I've done it it was not so bad after all and I feel more confident now....Thanks...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

going highlands